Friday, May 3, 2013

The "Helpless" Desk

What I thought was a simple task turned out to be a two day affair. No thanks in part to the so called help desk at my hosting provider.

Naturally when someone pays for hosting (as I do), you would think that technical support would be superior. After the last two days, I'm wondering if the people who receive these tickets actually read what is in there.

It all started when I decided to move both the site and the moodle component of the program to a separate server. Easy, right?

WRONG!!

Here are a few snippets from our conversation:

Me: I'll need moodle 2.4.3+ found here http://download.moodle.org/ installed under this new add on domain.
Them: You can install a new moodle into new folder or sub domain name, you may choose where you want to install it into.
Me:Would you be able to install moodle 2.4.3+ under public_html/learnpianotechnology.com? Here's the link http://download.moodle.org/download.php/stable24/moodle-latest-24.zip.
Them: http://www.learnpianotechnology.com/ and http://moodle.learnpianotechnology.com/ are online.
Me: Would it be possible to have moodle installed under public_html/learnpianotechnology.com? I would like to be able to see my moodle site when I enter moodle.learnpianotechnology.com. Right now all I see is the same thing that is at www.learnpianotechnology.com. I would like version 2.4.3+, available here :http://download.moodle.org/download.php/stable24/moodle-latest-24.zip (3rd time I ask, still not done)
Them:We have installed Moodle for you into /home/barbhall/public_html/learnpianotechnology.com as requested.
Me:Thanks for doing that, but we still have a problem. When I type learnpianotechnology.com or www.learnpianotechnolog.com I want to see the website. learnpianotechnology.com - I see my moodle sitewww.learnpianotechnology.com - I get an error message from moodle: I just checked on the control panel and see that it was installed under learnpianotechnology.com, not under learnpianotechnology.com/moodle. Would that explain the problem?
Them: (and this was the final straw for me) Sir, you did ask us to install moodle on the domain learnpianotechnology.com which is what has been done !
Me:Actually, I'm not a sir, I'm a ma'am! Yes, I realize that is what has been done, and perhaps it was my mistake not to create a moodle folder for the installation. I have now done that and would like moodle to be installed under that new folder, because leaving it the way it is means I can't access my website (not the moodle site), as I mentioned in an earlier reply.Sorry to be a pain, but I need the latest install of moodle reinstalled in the moodle folder.

And it went on and on like that all day until about 11 pm last night. What a hassle. 

Aside from calling me a sir (even though I signed each post with my name (Barb), each one of their responses ended with "Please let us know if there is anything further we can do for you." My response: try reading the posts properly!!!! Arghhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment